The Mentor-on-the-Lake Police Department is a CALEA accredited law enforcement agency.
When Mentor-on-the-Lake incorporated as a village on May 11, 1925, the mayor appointed George A. Hausman as Police Justice of the Village by village ordinance #9. On June 1, 1925, the village council gave authority to the mayor to appoint deputy marshals, policemen, and night watchmen for the village. On February 10, 1926, James W. Cobb became the first Police Officer of the Village of Mentor-on-the-Lake, was paid $100 per month, plus a nickel a mile for using his personal vehicle. On January 14, 1932, Ordinance #190 was passed, creating the Police Department in the village. Ordinance #191 confirmed the appointment of the first Police Chief, Lawrence Mraz. His starting salary was $200 per month.
Ordinance 71-6, passed February 12, 1971, proclaimed the Village of Mentor-on-the-Lake to be the City of Mentor-on-the-Lake.
The Police Department was originally housed in a garage behind the existing City Hall complex, where the tennis courts now exist. In 1973 the Police Department was moved into the City Hall Complex we currently occupy. The Mentor-on-the-Lake Police Department now employs a staff of 34, including both full-time and part-time Police Officers and Communications Officers.
The Department has been accredited by CALEA (Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies) since 1997. We are proud to be one of the few accredited agencies in northeastern Ohio.